about

The Queer Portrait Project tells the stories of people in the queer community in my paint and in their words. I am painting queer-identified people and having each person write a short bio to accompany the painting. I am painting people I know and people I don’t know. I am painting gay people, bi people, trans people, old people, young people, outgoing people, shy people, tall people, short people…queer people. I seek to illustrate the diversity, breadth, and variety that is the queer community. I like the thought of art used as a connection and a bridge in this tightknit, yet also disparate community. We tend to subdivide ourselves according age, race, gender, and class. I hope to show, in the most basic of ways -images and words- how art can be action for change. We have the power to strengthen and sustain each other: as queers, as artists, as people.

If you are interested in posing for the project, send an email to jen@paintpunk.com or see the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/events/206993919377164/

Monday, April 30, 2012

Sara

"Really? I never would have guessed." This is the response I get most often from people when they learn I identify as queer. For me, it's much less about who I love than how I live: standing in the face of fear, bold and passionate, adventurous and grounded in my Truth. As a writer, I share the common stories of our personal experiences. As a teacher, I share with others the tools of personal storytelling. And as an advocate, I stand strongly for the justice and fair treatment of all people.

At home, in the quiet of night, I am simply a woman. And this place, in her arms, is the best place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment