The Queer Portrait Project is a collaboration with the queer community, pairing each participant's narrative with my portrait of them. Queer people are often seen as faceless, autologous, nameless. One queer person becomes a representative and stand-in for a monolithic whole, robbing them of their own autonomous story. The Queer Portrait Project illuminates the breadth, depth, joys, struggles, and particularities of individual members of the queer community. The paintings and writings together allow the viewer to see and identify with the personal, distinctive, and particulate examples of each project contributor.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Nick

I could be described in many terms, but no single word seems to be accurate. I'm smart and funny, except when I'm foolish and awkward. I'm independent and assertive and confident, yet some of my defining moments have been when I was shy or anxious or scared. Some see me as cheerful and kind, and to others I'm dark and selfish. I'm queer, but I'm told that sometimes I 'act straight' (whatever that means). I'm rarely described as masculine, but I am more athletic than anyone I know. There doesn't seem to be a single word that can describe me. Well maybe just one: Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment