The Queer Portrait Project is a collaboration with the queer community, pairing each participant's narrative with my portrait of them. Queer people are often seen as faceless, autologous, nameless. One queer person becomes a representative and stand-in for a monolithic whole, robbing them of their own autonomous story. The Queer Portrait Project illuminates the breadth, depth, joys, struggles, and particularities of individual members of the queer community. The paintings and writings together allow the viewer to see and identify with the personal, distinctive, and particulate examples of each project contributor.

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Finn, East Lansing, MI, USA -- they/them


God… I’ve had to fight so hard for this identity. This queer identity. I’ve lost so much for it; family, friends, a home, my faith, partners (even queer ones that couldn’t accept my nonbinary identity), nearly everything. The funny thing is, I’ve never regretted it. I’ve never once regretted coming out as queer or as nonbinary. I’ve lived on opposite ends of life stability – I’ve slept on park benches and dug food out garbage cans. I’ve also received a prestigious fellowship to complete my PhD. The contrast of those things in my life is stark, but they are deeply connected. Without the family rejection, without the stigma and discrimination I experienced on the street, I wouldn’t have found my chosen family, my unconditionally loving family. I wouldn’t have pursued a career in research to try help queer people be able to live their best lives.
What kept going through all of that - what keeps me going now, is me. My identity. Through all the struggles, all the ups and downs, I refused to compromise me. I refused to claim I was something I wasn’t, and I proudly clung to my queer self. I told myself, they can try to take every single last damn thing from me, but they can never take away my queerness. I own that. It’s my superpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment